Thursday, September 11, 2008

A New Family!

(NOTE: Pages 55 to 67.) Kris commented earlier that Hollis seems to be trying to forget something that happened when she was with the Regans.

Before reading: List the evidence we have that would indicate what Hollis is trying to forget.

After reading: Does todays reading add any specific EVIDENCE as to what happened? Does it provide any information that could be used to shape our OPINION about what might have happened?

In Chapter 7, the Mustard Lady tells Hollis and Josie that she has found a new place for Hollis. It seems like what Hollis is looking for – a family with young boy and a dog. Yet, Hollis is not happy. Why?

(Other issues aside: Do you think that Hollis believes the Mustard Lady?)

3 Comments:

Ben said...

I believe that there was a car accident. Her is a-my proof:
*P. 29: Why did I have to mess everything up?
*P. 32: I didn’t much like to look at myself; there was that scar just healed from the accident on the Old Man’s mountain. If I didn’t see the scar, I didn’t have to think about that night and the terrible sound of the truck slamming into the rock as we slid toward the edge.
*P. 38: Don’t think about the end o summer, I told myself.
*P. 39: The Old Man was right about the road: It was slippery, muddy in the shade, one side wanting to slide off the mountain into the icy river.
*P. 61: I pressed my foot a little harder on the gas pedal. “Yahoo!” I yelled.”It’s me, driving a truck!”
*P. 67: Too late, I thought.

I think that the incident with the Regan’s caused her to begin being worried about families.

Ben said...

I forgot to add a bit to my perevious comment.

The reason she doesn't want to leave josie is because:
*A) She really likes Josie, and Josie need's hollis.
*B) Hollis thought she messed everything up with the reagans, and didn't want to ruin another family.

Mr. Z said...

I think that what we KNOW is that Hollis had an accident on the mountain and the truck was involved.

We do not know who else was in the truck or who was driving the truck. Todays reading might lead us to beleive that Hollis was driving but we do not have evidence of that.

Do we have enough evidence to confirm that this accident is the reason that Hollis left the branches?