Monday, November 17, 2008

Memory

Ben and I read chapters 7 & 8 today. This book is a challenging read for Ben. He is confused by the period speaking but to his credit he is working to understand what is going on. We continue to use a highlighter for phrases and terms that are interesting or difficult to understand. Ben’s highlights are a 50/50 mix of those.

There was quite a contrast in today’s reading. Chapter 7 was a tale of a carefree night in the countryside – albeit with the untimely death of a rabbit. We read Chapter 8 aloud together at my suggestion because the first time I read it I did not understand it and I guessed Ben would have the same issue. A key paragraph that explained the reason that a man was digging up the coffin of his infant child on a rainy night was easy to miss.

After reading this chapter I was wondering how autobiographical this book is. The fact that the author uses his family’s names seems to indicate that the book is based on his life, but the foreword to the book does not make it clear. I was thinking about Robert Peck writing this chapter as an adult and calling on a very powerful memory that must have been quite frightening at the time.

Do you have any childhood memory that would fit into this category? (Clearly this is a harder question for a 7th grader to answer but give it a try nonetheless, Ben.)

2 Comments:

Mr. Z said...

I have a couple of ‘dark stormy night’ memories that occurred when I was much younger then Robert. Both have me in the car at a specific place (one is a curve in a road that I can see as I type) though I do not remember the time before that moment or actually reaching the destination. I remember the context for both rides. One memory carries with it a sense of foreboding. I know I could write a story about both of them but I am certain that neither would be the ‘truth’ since I do not remember details.

My middle school memories are not of the ‘dark and stormy night’ variety. I have no late night trip to the cemetery memories, though it did feel spooky just to read about it since I could imagine doing it.

Ben said...

I do have a memory like that, but I don't like to talk about it, because it just makes me feel sad, spooked, and I think it just made me puke a bit in my mouth. True, this possibility washed away, but I was really spooked. It was like taking me away from me. Just typing anonymously about it right now is giving me the creeps. I beg of you not to ask me what this is.