Thursday, December 6, 2007

What is a boy to do?

Ben: Write about a time that you had to tell your parents something that you knew would not make them happy. How were you feeling before, during, and after? Use specifics.

Moose seems to have learned his lesson from the Laundry caper. He immediately realized that he needed to tell his mom and dad about Nat meeting 105. Unfortunately the conversation did not go the way he thought it would.

I am a little more worried about Moose’s mom. We have seen that she is working hard to find something to help Nat, and we have seen that it is very hard on her when Nat does not get better. Early on we heard about Nat having a 10th birthday every year. I was thinking this was just an unspoken agreement within the family. In Chapter 28 we learn that Moose’s mom has convinced herself that it is really true. I probably should have seen this before. I wonder how Moose’s father is feeling. He seems to be working almost nonstop and also worrying about everyone in his family. He must be really worn out.

Moose’s parents are too focused on getting her back into the Marinoff school to hear what Moose is telling them, and he is left alone to worry about what really happened when 105 met Nat. Plus he has the added worry of Piper and her schemes. I must say I have still not figured Piper out. Is she not worried about Nat’s safety or does she think 105 is harmless? Or is she just so self-focused that she does not contemplate the possible bad outcomes?

What would you do if you were Moose?

Curious: As soon as Piper gives Scout the baseball from 105 she stops talking to him. What is that about?

3 Comments:

Ben said...

One time I had to tell my parents something I knew wouldn’t make them happy. It was when I saw part of the Simpson’s Tree House of Terror. I didn’t want to tell them because I though they would get angry at me for watching a scary TV show. They know when I watch scary TV shows, I get upset and can’t go to sleep.

Before I told them, I put a little smile on my face. Dad could immediately see it was a fake smile (a smile that is on someone who isn’t happy). Then is when he asked me what I was upset about.

I told him the truth, and then the smile was wiped off my face. My dad was upset, but tried to help stop me from thinking about it. I just couldn’t sleep alone after that, so I had to sleep with mom and dad. None of us got a whole lot of sleep.

Anonymous said...

Moose's mom is in a world of her own when it comes to Natalie. That's ironic seeing that she thinks that Natalie being in her own world is more dangerous than anything that could happen to her on Alcatraz. P. 157 "Nothing on this island is half as dangerous as having her locked in her own world."
It really was heartbreaking when her mother talked about Natalie communicating and using pronouns to show her feelings. This clearly represented a huge change for Nat and one that Mrs. Flanagan will not allow to be minimized.

Mr. Z said...

Ben was wondering the meaning of 'red letter day'. (p 156, Moose's father says "it is a Red Letter Day!" in response to a positive article about the Marinoff school in the newpaper.)

The term comes from the early churches practice of marking the dates of Church Festivals on the calender in Red.

It is a term for a good/special day. One that really stands out.