Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Obsession?

The chapters are short and the action is a little slim so we are adding an extra one and reading Chapters 23-25 today.

Ben, before you start reading, let’s take a brief step back to the topic of a ‘Fresh Start’. What suggestion would you offer to a kid that really wanted to impress another kid?

Yesterday I wrote about Moose being infatuated with Piper. Infatuation (by definition) includes an irrational component. That irrational side becomes visible as Moose gets upset by the ‘relationship’ between Scout and Piper. Just knowing that they are talking with each other really bothers Moose. I wonder if he understands why this is upsetting to him.

His response to being upset is to become focused (obsessed?) on finding a ‘Convict Baseball’ for Scout. It seems like he feels he has something to prove. What does he hope to prove to Scout by finding him a baseball?

4 Comments:

Ben said...

When we are doing the move, I am going to have to tell about some things I can do well so kids don’t ignore me, in a way. It may be sort of hard to tell about some talents, like how I can play the flute well. I am going to set a fresh start by:
1. not acting immature
2. Doing a few of my special talents.
3. not talking about Homestar runner.
I think it would be okay if I briefly talked about the computer, but not too much.

Mr. Z said...

I liked Ben’s comment but did not feel that it addressed the question: “What advice would you give someone that wanted to impress someone?”

We talked about the types of things that impress kids – both the good (like talents) and the less admirable (like possessions). We reframed the question “Who do you want to impress?” We used single words to describe them: mature kids, kind kids, friendly kids, talented kids, etc.

Then I asked Ben to write another response.

Ben said...

First of all, I would tell a kid to be himself. If they said they could play an electric guitar when they couldn’t, they would be losing trust. Also, you should act like the kind of kids you want to impress. For example, If you wanted to impress smart and respectful kids, act smart and respectful. Another good thing is to show your interests. A kid that shares your interest will think better about you.

Anonymous said...

So Ben, this leads me to ask what your plan is to follow your own advice about fresh starts?