Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lets Get Started!


Time to get reading.

Wendesday we will read chapters 1 & 2. The plan is to read a couple of chapters each day. Before reading, check in here and you might find a thought or question to ponder while enjoying the book. Then return and offer your comments.

Yes, it is a fun book to read but we want to be thinking about some larger questions as well. Park these in the back of your brain and we will come back to them as we learn more:


  1. How does a person become part of a group?

  2. How does a person decide who to trust?

  3. What makes a person powerful?

As we get going, pay close attention to the characters defining qualities - and don't forget their names! I will figure out a way to post a list of their names and other information here.

(The School of Dad is in great deabt to their Launguage Arts Advisor - Kris - for help in directing this examination of ACDMS. We are greatly in her debt.)

As I read the first two chapters I was left with many questions. A big one for me was, "What is wrong with Natalie?" Any thoughts?

3 Comments:

Mr. Z said...

The English Department suggested some other items to consider in reading the early chapters:

Quickwrite #1 before Cha. 1-3:
How would you feel about moving to a new home where your neighbors were convicted criminals?

Chapter Questions:
- How's Moose feeling about his new home? What language does the author use to help you understand this?
Why doesn't Natalie "count"?
Why would Natalie's school be diffreent from yours?
What clues do you have about Natalie's age?
How does Piper reveal her character?
Prove or disprove this statement using evidence from the text: Moose feels like a prisoner.

Ben said...

I think what Natalie’s problem is she has trouble learning new things, so she goes to the less prestigious schools, as proved on the first page:
“All so my sister can go to the Esther P. Marinoff School, where kids have macaroni salad in their hair, and wear there clothes inside out and there isn’t a chalkboard in sight. All her schools were like that.”
That does not sound like a very good school to go to.

There are other things I noticed:
-Everyone says she’s 10 when she isn’t.
-Her favorite things are buttons.
-Moose said she can have tantrums that can last for days.
-Moose is embarrassed when she meets new people.

In closing, I am staying with my theory that she has trouble in school.

Kris C said...

I think Natalie is older than she speaks. Why does she repeat what people say like"Nice place" when her brother talks to her? She's supposed to be at least 10 but she talks a lot younger.
Does Moose seem angry to anyone besides me? "I'm only here because I have to be" doesn't seem like the most joyful reason to live on Alcatraz. Of course, I'm not sure that I'd want to live where my neighbors are convicted criminals. maybe his anger covers up fear. he did sleep with all his clothes on.