Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Phone Rings

Before getting going, Ben (and anyone else that would like to – strongly encouraged), please take a moment and write your thoughts on the statement “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.” As always, use personal experience.

Chapters 9 & 10 will bring us back to ‘the Rock’. The number of girls in Moose’s life will expand by one, and all of them – his mom, Natalie, Piper, Theresa, and Annie (the latest girl) are pushing and pulling at him in one way or another. Moose definitely has girl problems! Most surprising to me is how he lets Theresa (7!) manipulate him. She is not very subtle about it but he goes along anyway. Is Moose too nice for his own good?

Moose does not want to participate in Piper’s shirt cleaning plan. Two characters pressure / encourage him to do so. Contrast the way they try to get him to help. (Use quotes.)

Finally, some news regarding Natalie comes via phone. Moose could tell his mom first but instead he tells his Dad. Why do you think he chose to NOT tell his Mom?

(The website is a little wierd, but I like this MAP on the Alcatraz History website. Where was Moose when he was playing catch?)

6 Comments:

Ben said...

On the blog today, there was a interesting question:
Can you make a quick write about the saying sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me”

There is a strange matter for Natalie. If you remember, Moose said Nat doesn’t cry from plain old hurting. She cries from names. This may seem kind of weird.

The saying is normally the other way around for me, too. If hit, I usually don’t get hurt, but names and such can make me cry. This can happen all the time, but over time, I got used to different names. Like the common insults. And some insults can be turned around.
So this saying isn’t always right.

Kris C said...

Isn't it interesting that Natalie gets hurt by names, when she is the one who gave Moose his name? When she first called him Moose, he wasn't big at all but he pretty much grew into his name. Do you ever get the feeling that Being 5'11" as a 7th grader is hard, especially when your name is already Moose? It almost give kids or adults an opening to make fun of you right away.

Ben said...

The question I am answering is the second question:
Why do you think he chose NOT to tell his mom?

Remember a few chapters ago, where moose was talking about the time he went to his grandmothers house? His mother was the one that dropped him ff. The next day, who was it that came to pick him up? That’s right, his father! So he knew after that that his father would be the most trustworthy for that kind of a job.

The only thing I am wondering is how will he get Natalie? I know he is going to take the bot, but some kids inside might think they were criminals or robbers, so they will have to sneak in. And how will they do that? Maybe we will find out in the next chapter.

Mr. Z said...

I understand the first paragraph of your answer. I do not understand the second. 'Some kids might think they are criminals.'?

The school told them to come and get Natalie. Moose's Mom and Dad are going to have to do that. It does not seem like something that will involve any sneaking.

The more diffcult part will be - How are they going to help her once she is home? Also - didn't they move to Alcatraz so she could go to that school? Does this change whether they will stay?

Ben said...

I guess you just dont understand what i am saying. What if a child was up, and they saw a man and a boy taking a girl away with them? Would they think, "Oh, they are just normal people walking away with a student."? I don't think so. They would probably think they were kidnapping her. so they would have to sneak in and out of the building.

Also, I do not think they will be moving. They will probably stay for their fathers job. I would seem she would go to Moose's school.

Mr. Z said...

I guess I will give you an 'A' for creative thinking (or should that be a 'C'?) but my prediction is that her removal from the school will just leave the people at the school relieved she is gone.