Monday, November 19, 2007

Rule Breaker?

Chapters 7 and 8 are on the plate for today. With our move to Ohio on the horizon, I had special sympathy for Moose as he started his first day of school in a new place. It does not tell us how Moose was feeling as he got ready to go to school but I bet he was very nervous . (Imagine the fun of a boat ride from Alkatraz to San Francisco when you aready have a nervous stomach!) I can see Moose at the breakfast table with his Mom trying to make him feel better. "Moose, it is easy to make friends when you are new." How would you respond to that question? (Ben please write a response - using your own experience - before reading the chapters.)

When you read the chapters I think you will be surprised to find that Moose quickly breaks one of the Warden’s rules. Which rule did he break and what was he thinking as he did it?

Chapter 8 finds Moose playing baseball with some new school friends. The game clearly has a special place in Moose’s life. How would you describe what baseball means to him? Do you have something that fills a similar role for you?

6 Comments:

Ben said...

In today’s blog entry, There was a question:
“It is easy to make new friends. Would you agree with this?”
I would agree.

If you are new at a school, you are going to be introduced to your whole class. When you are saying a few things about you, kids will often share some of your interests. In that case, kids will often ask to be your friends. That is why I think she is right.

When I was at my first year at UHMS, I was very nervous. When Mrs.Febomajeah introduced me to the class, I had made fast friends with some of the kids, like Zack and Ethan. I was friends with then up through 5th grade. Please post any comments about my answer if you are wondering about anything.

Kris C said...

Ben-
When you made your new friendships with Zack and Ethan, about what did you connect? I often find my that my friendships are based on activities that I like, but every so often friendships develop over common dislikes. What was your friendship like with Zack and Ethan?

Kris C said...

I think that Moose must be incredibly nervous when he gets to 7th grade, and even more so after Miss Bimp (that has to be one of the most unfortunate names ever)suggests that perhaps he has already tried to get through this grade before. Moose gets suckered in by Piper when she starts talking about Al Capone and then lets the other kids know that Moose lives on Alcatraz too. That makes him immediately interesting to the others. Why does Piper do that?

Ben said...

Chris-

It is interesting that your friendships seemed to start off with common dislikes. I am used to them being caused from similarities. Like with Ethan and Zack, for example. We have many similarities, from how we do in different classes to what we liked to do at recess. We did have differences, though. Like what sports we liked.

Mr. Z said...

Ben and I talked about how Baseball is a 'refuge' for Moose. (I thought it was one of his recent vocabulary words, but that was 'refute'.) When playing baseball he does not have to think about anything else.

Ben said...

In chapter eight, moose was playing baseball. Normally when doing things, he has his mind wander. But during baseball, he just thinks about baseball. I also have a refuge. Really, I have two!

The first one is my room, and everything in it. I can do whatever I want in my room. It is an oasis to me. I can do everything from take a nap on my bed to go crazy running around in it. IT is a little place to be happy.

My second refuge is my figurines. They are controlled by me, and I can do whatever with them. They are like little people to me, and I can even hear them speak to me! They are my little people, and I am their king.