Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bad News

Spaz gets bad news in Chapter 7. I thought the method that it was delivered was almost as interesting as the news.

The canvas painted for me by this book so far is all in gray and black and shrouded in a fog. I hope that some “Why’s” will be answered soon. I would even appreciate some simple clarifications, like – what is a latch? (I understand that a latch is a gang territory but why do they call it a latch?)

The news is going to start Spaz off on a mission. Do you think ‘daunting’ (my word not the authors) would be an appropriate adjective to describe it?

After learning a little about Epilepsy yesterday (see the link on the right), it was interesting to read Spaz’s account of the seizure he has in Chapter 8. Are his descriptions of what happened before and after the seizure consistent with what we learned?

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

So far we have been introduced to our hero Spaz, a foundling rejected by his adoptive family because of a medical condition, who lives in a lawless futuristic society defined by the "Big Shake." I cannot argue with your observation of everything being dark and gray. But I have the feeling that things are about to change, although not necessarily in an easy or immediate manner. That secret runner with the bad news about Bean brings Spaz to what I'm guessing will be a fateful decision. I like his resolve to go to Bean despite having to break Billy's rule about obeying him. I like that Ryter is joining him on this quest, even comparing their story to the story of Don Quixote. I like that Ryter sees in Spaz someone worthy of a great story that he cannot bear to miss the ending of. Do I have any real reason to be hopeful here, especially after Spaz's seizure?

Ben said...

I think that daunting is an appropriate word to describe Spaz’s journey. Think about hearing your sister was close to death. That wouldn’t be very easy, and you would break go against one of Billy’s commands, not to mention everyone knew you were vulnerable. That wouldn’t be an easy journey.

I got a different palette painted in my head. It does seem dark, but there are some things that are easily thinkable. Think about the cubes, and the people in them. They looked like they were in rags for clothes, they had black and brown hair, and were very dirty. There were many other things that were easy to imagine, like how mind probes/Billy’s room looked.

Mr. Z said...

I think 'daunting' understates the difficulty of the journy ahead for Spaz. He is responding to emotion - not common sense. The Chapter began with him frightened to find himself in a unsafe territory after running from Ryter. Now he is going to travel across multiple 'latchs'? Good thing that Ryter is coming along because he will need Ryter's experience if he is going to make it.